Jozo Weider, the founder of Blue Mountain, was born in Czechoslovakia in 1908. During his twenties he worked at a chalet he built in the Carpathian Mountains. When WWI began Weider moved his family to Canada.


With a dream to start a world class ski resort Jozo and his family settled near Collingwood. Collingwood at the time was known for its shipyards and apples but was not a tourist destination.

In 1941 Jozo built Blue Mountain Lodge. The runs that were open were the "Schuss", "Granny" and "Kandahar". The first ski lift was built by hand and powered by a truck engine - at the time this was quite revolutionary!

In 1948 The Toronto Ski Club and The Blue Mountains Ski Club signed an agreement with Blue Mountain Resort which allowed the company a 999 year lease on the resort’s northern lands.


In the 1950’s skiers would travel to Blue Mountain via Craigleith Train Station since there were no good roads that had access to Blue Mountain.

Jozo began thinking of expanding. In 1959 the first chairlift was installed.

With finances still being tight Jozo began using the clay from Blue Mountain to create pottery. Blue Mountain Pottery is now famous the world over.


Access to ski hills was made easier with the creation of new highways, new ski equipment was being designed that made skiing safer, and household incomes were rising. With easier, safer access to the slopes and excess income to spend skiing’s popularity rose and Blue Mountain expanded.

In 1968 Jozo sold Blue Mountain Pottery and put the money into Blue Mountain Resort building two double-seater chairlifts, new trails, and the Central Base Lodge.


Jozo died in 1971 leaving Blue Mountain Resort to be operated by his family. They had caught Jozo's vision and throughout the 1970's expanded Jozo's dream of a world class ski resort. The list of expansion in the 1970's is impressive:

  • Snow making system installed ($5 million+)
  • Ski/Rental/Repair complex built at Central Base Lodge
  • Resort Administration Offices expanded
  • South Base Lodge built
  • L-Hill, Big Baby, Inn Triple and the O-Hill chairlifts constructed
  • Night skiing introduced
  • The Great Slide Ride built (making Blue Mountain Resort a four seasons vacation location)


Expansion continued and escalated in the 1980's with:

1980 - Slipper Dipper Water Slide (summer attraction)

1981 - Five star Blue Mountain Inn

1984 - Waterslide at Wasaga Beach (Blue Mountain Resorts first off campus venture)

1985 - Tube Ride in the Slide Ride complex (summer attraction)

1986 - Chateau Ridge condominium (the first phase in the construction of Blue Mountain Village)

1989 - Monterra Golf Course

1989- Monterra Dome Indoor Tennis

During the 1980’s in addition to the above developments new trails were cut and faster new chairlifts were erected.


Expansion of Blue Mountain Resort continued well into the 90's. The two most significant additions being the "Monterra Pavilion" in 1990 and The Jozo Weider Racing Club in 1994. The Pavilion included a Bar & Grill, Pro Shop, condominium check-in centre, conference facilities, change-rooms and an outdoor pool & whirlpool.

In January of 1999 the Weider family sold a 50% interest of Blue Mountain Resort to Intrawest Corporation.


Throughout the 2000's Intrawest Coroperation made plans and constructed what is now Blue Mountain Village.


In 2014 the Weider family sold their remain 50% interest to Intrawest Corporation.

Present Day:

Today The Blue Mountain Resort hosts over 750,000 skiers visitors a year. It's amazing to think that all this started with one man’s vision, hard work, and a truck engine powered ski lift.